Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 3 - Our Search for Cooler Temperatures

Day 3 began early with lots and lots of wind in the parking lot rv park at Council Bluffs! Enough to wake the cats. Peaches actually was making lots of noise and pacing the bed. She wouldn't get on the floor to pace - just paced the bed. The Bear rolled over once, looked at her and went back to sleep!

Even though our next leg of the trip is north, we had to back track to I80 and go northeast for about 20 miles to catch I680 west to get back to I29. There is apparently a bridge out on I29 which has resulted in that detour. We are now back on I29 heading north to Sioux Falls where we will turn west towards the mountains.

It has simply been amazing how many fields of corn and other crops we have seen! Plus there have been two places where we were driving through a low spot in the highway with big bags of gravel holding back the water on both sides and in the middle. It is like a bridge but you aren't up in the air! Lots of crop land is still under water.

I just updated the blog for everything else we did today, and lost it all. So, here goes nothing.

We had a little rain most of the trip to Kennebec, SD today. It was overcast all day - and COOLer than it had been. We never had to crank the generator - even when we stopped for lunch!!!

Peaches had a really good day - she just laid on her bathroom rug that we brought from home. Bear moved from his green bag to my lap to the dash to the bag to my lap to the bag to the sofa and back to my lap all day. He really likes to ride on the motor home. Everytime we would slow down or stop, he would jump on to the dash to make sure everyone could see him - as well so that he could see everything.

One thing we saw today was lots of fields of grains which had been harvested. With the bit of wind that was blowing all day, I kind of wish they had not been harvested. Then we would have truly seen the amber waves of grain!!!

Tonight we are staying in a KOA rv park in Kennebec. Ironically, it is the same KOA at which we stayed the on our trip to Yellowstone. No discount or recognition of that fact. The lady told us at check in that there probably had been four other owners of the park since we were last here!!!

Anyway, tomorrow we go to Wall Drug on the way to Spearfish. I truly think you could spend an entire day at Wall Drug and never see everything that is there.

Peace!!!!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Cool! aaaah! It is really HOT here. I think you tried to call me on the 11th--just noticed. Always forget to turn the phone on after church. I'll watch it better! Have fun, but no bears

Love, c